View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
FlashStopFall
EcoModding Beginner

WJ - '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Team E85
90 day: 17.28 mpg (US)

ZJ - '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
During my time with Aerocivic, that small Honda D15 idled around 0.10-0.12gph. Part of this was due to a very low idle speed - around 550rpm. E85 does have 30% less energy content per unit volume, so you an expect to use ~43% more fuel under the same conditions. I assume you have a proper E85 tune?

I've also found OBD-based fuel economy instrumentation to be notoriously unreliable. They make a lot of assumptions, giving you the GPH based on displacement, RPM, load, and predicted air fuel ratio. There's a very good chance it idles using less fuel than is being reported, because it doesn't take into account fuel trims, air fuel ratio, or any number of other factors. You simply won't know, unless you can pull data on the injector pulse length, or use instrumentation like an MPGuino.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
That does seem quite high, what engine speed is this at?
You might check to be sure your battery and alternator are working properly. My guess is the 4.0 i6 can idle pretty low if you can get the computer to allow it.
It idles at 750, and is properly tuned for E85. I didn’t know that about OBDII scanners, I’ll have to get an MPGuino. I can’t seem to find where it’s sold, could you point me toward a kit/built unit? Are there any worthy alternatives?

I’ll pull the serpentine belt off and run it for a minute to see how it affects idle consumption. Thanks guys.