View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
ZeroFuel
EcoModding Lurker

ZeroFuel 1,2,3 - '96 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I do have concerns about any fuel made from fossil fuels, as it can just become a "greenwashed" way of using oil, coal, and similar fuels.

I am generally not pro-hydrogen fuel cells, because they use natural gas to create hydrogen to create electricity. Why not just charge an electric car with electricity? Skips a few steps, and we have lots of renewable electricity sources.

In a conversation I had with a fuel cell guy, he did point out that fuel cells have potential for range far more than a battery electric car.

What kind of range can be expected from a ZeroFuel car? If the hydrogen is renewably generated, and the car has good range, it might be a great system, fitting the same niche as gas-electric hybrids, eco-friendlier, long-range vehicles!

EV's will have a place on the future landscape, but as you state they do not have the range & there are other issues. Plus, when you plug them in your most likely dirty.

Millennium Cell did have the NJ Genesis make a world record fuel cell run, but that is another story. With a hydrogen on demand fuel cell you have safety & long range, far superior to any EV.

A ZeroFuel vehicle will have the same range as current gas powered vehicles, if not more. One of the attributes of ZeroFuel is the 130+ octane. There have been tests with ammonia powered engines that supported a 60:1 compression ratio. New vehicle production for ZeroFuel will have compression ratios of 25-30:1. With this higher compression the engine is a lot more efficient & powerful. Motors can be built smaller there by getting even greater MPG. For the performance & motorsports markets expect huge HP gains. Retrofit of existing fleet is similar to CNG, but not with all the weight penalties & safety issues associated with CNG.

Thanks for your questions.

Last edited by ZeroFuel; 10-16-2008 at 06:28 PM..