View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
JapaneseJeep
EcoModding Lurker

Question Plug-in hybrid using hydrogen injection

Hello,

Although this is my first post here, I have been casually viewing Ecomodder for some time and realize how controversial hydrogen systems are here. Therefore, I'll preface this post by saying that I absolutely agree with the existing evidence: HHO systems have negligible benefit, if any at all, when they're run off the vehicle's alternator (conservation of energy).

I have come here to bounce an idea off of you more experienced folks that has been kicking around in my head for a while now. I have read several papers (not sure if I'm allowed to link them yet, but I will post their titles below) which indicate without a shadow of a doubt that both HHO and pure H2 can significantly improve fuel efficiency in ICE vehicles. The problem with the existing commercial systems, as you know, is that they all claim to reap these benefits while running straight off the alternator with no adjustments. When used as directed right out of the box, these systems don't seem to confer any improvement whatsoever.

But what if the power for the electrolysis of the water came not from the vehicle's engine, but from a secondary battery charged via wall plug or EV charger? My thinking is that, if a conventional dry cell 12V HHO "water welder" system is instead connected to a pre-charged battery in the trunk and its output is passed into the intake manifold, fuel economy gains might be possible. This would, in effect, allow an ICE to be converted to a PHEV inexpensively and with zero invasive modifications.

So, wise hypermilers, what are your thoughts? I can't be the first person to come up with this idea. Have any of you tried it or something like it?

Eager to hear your opinions.

The papers I mentioned:

1. "Effect of hydroxy (HHO) gas addition on gasoline engine performance and emissions", Alexandria Engineering Journal, 2016, by Mohamed M. EL-Kassaby, Yehia A. Eldrainy, Mohamed E. Khidr, and Kareem I. Khidr.

2. (For diesel engines) "Effect of hydroxy (HHO) gas addition on performance and exhaust emissions in compression ignition engines", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2010, by Ali Can Yilmaz, Erinç
Uludamar, and Kadir Aydin.

3. "A review on analysis of HHO gas in IC engines", Materials Today: Proceedings, 2019, by T.B. Arjun et al.

There are more. Type "HHO" into Google Scholar.

Last edited by JapaneseJeep; 11-02-2022 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Remove solar panel discussion for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to JapaneseJeep For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-03-2022)