View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
JapaneseJeep
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Botting high pressure hydrogen is dangerous and expensive, but assuming you can do it, the gains would be proportional to how much hydrogen you can carry/inject. Most HHO systems amount to a tiny fraction of a percent.

Engineering Explained released a video on hydrogen combustion just a few days ago. IIRC, the conclusion he came to was that, for a very efficient V8, a 60L tank (think large street-side trash bin) filled to 5000PSI with hydrogen would be good for around 60 miles of hydrogen-only range. If you're going half and half with gasoline, you could double your fuel economy for the first 120 miles with a tank just about the size of the rear passenger compartment in most sedans.

With a much more efficient engine, say a Geo Metro 3 cylinder, you could get the same doubling of economy for around 500 miles per hydrogen fill.
Obviously the dynamics are a little different when you're working with pressurized gas, but overall, this is what makes me believe that on-the-fly HHO/H2 generation would be the way to go. Both of the engines that I have available for this project (Subaru FB25 and Honda D16) are relatively efficient four-cylinder designs, the Honda especially so. Further, the gain I'm looking for is nowhere near double efficiency... I'd be satisfied with a 5-10% increase since I'm getting the electricity and water for free.

I'll have a look at that video, thank you very much for the pointer.