View Single Post
Old 11-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #56 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 54.24 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.05 mpg (US)
Fall mileage updates

I finally have my Scan Gauge II calibrated correctly. With my new injector nozzles, I was able to calibrate it correctly to match my fill-up gas mileage calculations. My old injectors leaked so I could never converge on calibration the Scan Gauge II correctly.

Fall hit along with heavy rains and wind. It seems that the effect of rain is about a 8% - 10% hit in gas mileage reduction. Here are my last week's mileage numbers with the new Bosio DLC 250 injector nozzles. 60 - 63 mph average commute driving 35 miles each way.

day--------to work(mpg)--to home(mpg)--daily average--notes
10/31-----50.8------------52.7-------------51.75-----------heavy traffic home
11/1-------55.6-----------56.1--------------55.85-----------Daily record high
11/2-------50.6-----------55.5--------------53.05------------ -
11/3-------51.8-----------51.6--------------51.7------------ -
11/4-------50.3-----------57.3--------------53.8------------ gusty tailwind home

I didn't record which days had rain, but those appear to be the 50 mpg trips. Morning mileage is worse, as it gas mileage takes a big hit until the car warms up. This year tdi has a coolant heater that draws about 80 amps to get the coolant up to temp for emissions. It takes big draw on the alternator and a big parasitic draw on the motor. When I start the car it is running at 0.27 gph at idle when cold for about 5 miles. When it is fully warmed up at idle it is 0.16 gph - 0.17 gph, so the parasitic effect of the alternator draw is obvious. I shoot for 1.0 gph on level ground while driving (60 mpg) so the alternator draw is about 0.1 gph or a 10% reduction in gas mileage.

I had some wastegate or boost leak problems this week. I lost boost going up a hill, then regained it, then noticed boost pressure being about 2 psi higher during cruising speed. So, maybe a waste gate issue or boost control? Or a boost leak fixed? or a boost leak created? Going to check the intake tubing today. I used to cruise on level ground at around 16 to 17 psi (absolute pressure). Now it is about 18- 19 psi (absolute pressure or MAP), but gas mileage is the same. I am now going to do the famous Italian TDI tune up every day at least once to keep the waste gate from carboning up and sticking. A full throttle short run everyday to keep the carbon away.....
317k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank
The Following User Says Thank You to Caddylackn For This Useful Post:
MeteorGray (11-09-2022)