View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
conradpdx
EcoModding Lurker

the Mule - '99 Dodge Dakota
90 day: 14.54 mpg (US)
Though being able to power my car on pee does sound tempting one should note (I call dibs on the vanity plate that reads "peepwr":

Quote:
Commercial production
Urea is commercially produced from two raw materials, ammonia, and carbon dioxide. Large quantities of carbon dioxide are produced during the manufacture of ammonia from coal or from hydrocarbons such as natural gas and petroleum-derived raw materials. This allows direct synthesis of urea from these raw materials.
The production of urea from ammonia and carbon dioxide takes place in an equilibrium reaction, with incomplete conversion of the reactants. The various urea processes are characterized by the conditions under which urea formation takes place and the way in which unconverted reactants are further processed.
Unconverted reactants can be used for the manufacture of other products, for example ammonium nitrate or sulfate, or they can be recycled for complete conversion to urea in a total-recycle process.
Two principal reactions take place in the formation of urea from ammonia and carbon dioxide. The first reaction is exothermic:
2 NH3 + CO2 ↔ H2N-COONH4 (ammonium carbamate)
Whereas the second reaction is endothermic:
H2N-COONH4 ↔ (NH2)2CO + H2O
Both reactions combined are exothermic.
The process, developed in 1922, is also called the Bosch-Meiser urea process after its discoverers.
----Wikipedia

Is a fuel fossil free if it's produced with fossil fuels. And lets not even get into the CO2 released from the process. Or has your company found a silver bullet to nix the CO2Hazards

Quote:
Urea can be irritating to skin and eyes. Too high concentrations in the blood can cause damage to organs of the body. Low concentrations of urea such as in urine are not dangerous.
It has been found that urea can cause algal blooms to produce toxins, and urea in runoff from fertilizers may play a role in the increase of toxic blooms.[3]
Repeated or prolonged contact with urea in fertilizer form on the skin may cause dermatitis. The substance also irritates the eyes, the skin, and the respiratory tract. The substance decomposes on heating above melting point, producing toxic gases, and reacts violently with strong oxidants, nitrites, inorganic chlorides, chlorites and perchlorates, causing fire and explosion hazard."
This kind of reminds me of my Grandfather in law. To put it bluntly he was basically a snake oil sales man. But he did "invent" a few cleaners and what not. One of which was a mastic remover. Anyway, he had a stroke and while cleaning his house I given his experiment journals, recipes, and the patent info for a few of them. He always claimed that his mastic remover (for those not aware mastic is basically a glue that was heavily used for asbestos installation) was organic and you could drink it.

The hype in family was that it was a million dollar idea since it basically would speed up the the safe removal of asbestos. It was a liquid so it'd keep the dust in place and it basically would make the mastic peel off. I poured over his journals and what not searching for the recipe and alas there it was. Apparently my grandfather in law had a different idea of organic than most of us. One of the major components has strict laws and regulations on its use in products, and is pretty toxic stuff.

It did make me wonder the cause of his stroke.

Well that was more than I intended to type, and I'm not trying to belittle you or your company or your efforts. But your site leaves little to go on, and typically anything of this scope wouldn't come to a message board to get the word out. They usually like CNN, FOX, Car and Driver etc. What news station could pass up on a car that runs on pee, come on.

If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"--- Again F. Zappa

My guilty little pleasure