View Single Post
Old 11-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Two question on my active grill block?

So my Ioniq had active grill shutters for the main section. You can clear see them closed automatically since it’s winter time

But the lower section I circled in blue doesn’t have an active shutter system. It goes towards the radiator at the bottom. There are also little ramps of holes in the front under tray

My two segmented questions are-

Would I be helping or hurting aerodynamics but blocking off those lower holes? Everyone says grill blocks help aero, but what if Hyundai wanted some air to fly in and then go down thru the front under tray to help with something secret they discovered in the wind tunnel? What about stagnation points or adding higher pressure to that front grill lip area? Could that add drag? Or does it just seem like I’m over thinking and it’s making no difference?

The main reason I’m curious to blocking off that section is to limit air flow from going into the engine bay and radiator since it’s so cold now. My cars heat inside only works when the engine is fully warmed up. That or I’m freezing. The hybrid issue is every time I come to a stop light, the engine cuts off and switches to battery and I lose my heat pretty fast. Also hybrids take longer to warm up than most cars. Do I run any chance of overheating by blocking that area off and being a full 100 percent grill block? Should I leave it as is? I really want my engine to warm up faster and stay warm longer. If the engine gets too hot, the active shutters should open up right? I just feel like even with the active shutters closed, allowing cold winter air into the bay and lower radiator, even if it’s a small amount, is still hurting the warm up period. It also rains a lot here too so more water goes into the engine bay too with that lower opening.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B915C86-BBA0-47E9-B570-85414DFF0FA5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	33007   Click image for larger version

Name:	69C7A22B-8269-4C60-AAF5-C7891B3143AD.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	33008  
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (11-09-2022)