View Single Post
Old 11-10-2022, 10:52 AM   #153 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
I see, I'm actually working on an engine simulator to test stock computers, would be interesting to simulate engine knock (knock sensor) and see if it only pulls ignition timing, or timing + adds fuel. I don't have any computers from an engine that had boost factory though. Would be interesting to see the data on it though.
Reading back through before i asked a question. But yes the ls400 pulls ignition timing for 87 vs 91 etc... (power difference is 5whp and around 0.3s in the quarter mile) It for sure knows the difference through the knock sensors. I get the same mpg with normal cruising with 87 octane. 87 is the minimum octane requirement and 91 octane is the octane the car is legally required to be stated is the octane it was rated on to achieve its numbers with.
But WOT and staying in open loop the whole time with mountain pass spirited driving in the ls400 there is a big difference in fuel economy. I get like 14mpg on 87 and 17mpg on 93 with the ls400. And yes you typically need to run around 11.0-11.5:1 with boost vs like 12.5-13.0:1 with NA apps on E10. So it gets to be very wasteful. You will melt the combustion area components if you go too lean and blow the motor. I did see that lexus runs the ls400 rich at wot to give it better reliability though. (like 12:1 ish at wot, closed loop is not the same as it runs at lambda in that mode). So yeah if you wanna learn some more about look at some HPA videos on youtube on tuning, join the efi tuners guild on facebook, etc...

Back to prius stuff though. Blacktree have you monitored oil consumption on your Prius? If it has any you should try the magic corn juice and do a piston soak. Its insane how well it works at dissolving oil sludge, fuel varnish in old fuel tanks, engine degreaser, fuel injector cleaner, etc etc... Its insane. I used it recently to clean the oil pan, fuel lines, and gas tank on an ls400 that sat for 13 years recently and it all just melts away instantly. I wouldn't leave it in too long around rubber stuff though as e85 is still just alcohol so its kinda rough on rubber if it touches rubber for a long time.