View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
skirt pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Hey Aerohead, where can I find pictures of your front wheel covers ?
It appears as though they don't have rollers like the AeroCivic has, and I was wondering if they just rub up against the tires.
You might just look at the video: ' Streamlined Toyota T-100 in the wind tunnel.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The skirts are piano-hinged from the top.
* A flat aluminum bar stock superstructure provides the hard points to support a single Harbor Freight Tools roller which contacts the tire surface during wheel-flop.
* Skinned in aluminum sheet.
* ACE Hardware tension springs spanning to the wheelhouse inner wall help keep the skirts stowed closed. ( it's not a very good design, as they are known to 'fly' open in winds ).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These rollers weren't designed for high-rpms, their bearings are 'dry' and 'open' and 'fail' within a relatively short timeframe.
I'm replacing the rollers with inline skate wheels which have precision bearings, and are weatherproof.
And the 'spring' system is to be replaced by the cable- gravity, drop-weight, elevator system I used on the gap-filled tadpole trailer invention.
Cd (11-19-2022), freebeard (11-17-2022), Piwoslaw (11-19-2022)