View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 12:12 PM   #96 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
My Prius has an oil burning problem. Everything I read says it's 95% likely it's the piston rings because the previous owners followed Toyota's yearly oil change recommendation.
1 year is an extremely short oil change interval. Modern oils / engines can go much farther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Makes you wonder. Need to get some more maintenance schedule information on all of these vehicles with these supposedly 30000km+ (~18,500 mi).
I have heard you can go longer on an oil change if you just stay on the interstate 8 hours a day with the oil hot the entire time, but it seems odd because europeans always brag about americans driving too much. I would bet half of us hit severe service conditions from short cold trips around town and get derated on oil intervals without even knowing it. Toyota doesn't really mention qualifications to owners.
Most modern European cars do not have a set oil change interval because people are bad at determining their actual duty cycle. Instead they have dynamic change intervals based on how the car is actually driven. So if you drive a severe service interval it will turn on the maintenance light based on the severe service interval. Likewise if you mostly drive extended interstate trips it will use an extended service interval and you may go 30,000 - 40,000 km between oil changes.