View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
The red and white tadpole has its wheels too far forward to be viable because it will end up very tippy in the corners due to the center of mass being so far back. You'd have to space the front wheels greatly further apart. This would also have the advantage of moving the wheel turbulence generated away from the body shell, allowing you to have laminar flow along the body instead of constant turbulence from the wheels disrupting the flow along the body. A greatly wider front track on this would significantly reduce drag. Although if you have a bicycle drivetrain in the vehicle, moving the wheels more toward the middle of the trike would probably be necessary anyway, because you will need room for your toes to clear while pedaling, and you don't want steering components in the way, which would then make the vehicle less prone to tipping.

The blue and white delta is more viable of the two, but I'd recommend fairing the front so that the front wheel isn't exposed, finding a way to seal the sides, and then fair the rear wheels, all of which are simple ways to cut drag.

You should definitely build one. You won't regret it. It will become your daily and you will look forward to using it every time the occasion arises. I speak from experience on this. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need any advice or help. Don't put this off, because by not having such a thing, you're really missing out.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Toecutter For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (10-30-2023)