Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #1346 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsnowsm View Post
Very nice data on the Bolt.

My interest is economical. I have an off grid homestead. I presently have my solar system sized for specific loads and needs. My objective is to keep the KWH as low as possible in the EV so that I will be able to Level 1 charge the car off of my power system without breaking stuff or having to add a lot more to capacity to my home power build. I am mentally preparing myself for the possibility I may need to put up one more string of PV panels to offset the increased load of the EV. However that cost is pretty substantial so efficiency pays.

When you have to carry your own water you start to value every drop! If I can keep the amount I use in the car as minimal as possible I think it should be possible to trickle charge an EV and be able to top it off on what I produce. But I am going to have to be pretty efficient with it's use.
Yes, that changes things considerably. When you are making your own power small changes in usage can require expensive upgrades.

I'm in the process of specing out the electrical system for my ambulance to RV project right now. I have the induction "burner", toaster oven, and refrigerator I'll be using and I'm measuring consumption for cooking.

What type of batteries are you using for your off-grid system? I have 6V lead acid golf car batteries in my current campervan but I'm looking to go lithium in the new RV. It looks like I will be able to fit about 1800 watts of solar on the roof - I was hoping for 2,000.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Longsnowsm (12-04-2022)