View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 07:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
ERTW
EcoModding Apprentice

Bu - '08 Chevrolet Malibu LS
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)
This project is progressing much slower than I anticipated. mid-June...2023...maybe I was battling a large vacuum leak most of the summer (from porting the intake manifold) and finally got it running in October...then Canadian winter hit and I put it away in the garage.

The 706 heads are ported, valves back cut, etc. They peak at 254 cfm @ 0.550" lift. Sim says there's no real benefit to peak hp using a higher lift cam. The cam arrived a couple of weeks ago. 264/274 advertised duration, 116 LSA, 0.61" lift. The faster ramp rates of the LSX/LSL lobes should make it accelerate harder.

I still have maintenance items to replace. Timing chain/gear, oiling system, rod bearings, et al. Ideally I'd install lower tension piston rings and plateau hone.

I'll be contacting ICE Ignition soon to get some of their LS1 coils and 10 Amp box.

I believe the stock thermostat is 210F. I'd like to go a littler warmer as well - 230ish.

David Vizard pointed to TFX Engine Technology for in-cylinder real time pressure transducers. Their software will calculate VE, IMEP, burn rates, and ideal spark advance for efficiency. This will help with calibrating fuel and spark. Not sure if I can afford a 4 gas analyzer.
Cd (12-19-2022), freebeard (12-17-2022), pgfpro (12-19-2022)