View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Wing / Strut Section Wake vs Cd Behavior

In Fachsenfeld's 1951 book, he shares a research he and Kamm conducted at the FKFS, very similar to what Hoerner published in his Figure 3.26, regarding the 2-D flow, Gottingen 460, 20.5% thickness, airfoil section.
The FKFS model is a 2-D flow, 8-piece, composite, K-form, symmetrical airfoil, which represents measured Cds, ranging from, zero-aft-body, to 100% aft-body, representing 8-different 'wake areas', along -equal-length segments.
The Cd varies from, 0.58, to 0.065.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's germane to Jeff Howell et al.'s research is, the first 75% of the aft-body, which demonstrates a perfectly linear drag relation along its slope, as a function of wake area reduction, along the 'wing's' curved contour.
The last 25% becomes non-linear, with diminishing returns, as it goes asymptotic near 100% length and zero-wake.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've misplaced Kosin & Lehmann's streamlined body of revolution research. I'll try and hunt that down, as I'd like an example of a purely 'compound-curve' - surfaced tail.