Thread: Wind turbines
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2022, 11:04 AM   #205 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
Grid level batteries (chemical, gravity, et al) are one way of getting rid of SOME of the natural gas turbines that take up the slack when renewables are not generating, and when Peak demand hits.

I'm generalizing .. but EXCESS solar and wind (which I have read requires that they get to somewhere around 2X and 3X the peak power that is required on the grid at any one time.
I'm generally against government subsidy and regulation, but if there was a worthy area of study or regulation, there's a good chance that would be vehicle to grid (V2G0 interconnection and strategies to buffer energy to cover demand scenarios in which there is either insufficient generation capacity, or that peak capacity is very expensive.

Since cars sit idle 95% of the time, their utilization rates are abysmal. Might as well put that super expensive battery to a 2nd task and reward people for participating in grid stabilization. win(utility benefits), win(V2G participant), win(utility consumer), win(natural environment) scenario.

There's too much win potential here. You're gonna get tired of so much winning.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (12-23-2022)