View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
Well I agree with you on the speed issue, however a range of 200 miles is still low for me. Not because I am to lazy to plug in each night but because I live in the penis of the USA and everywhere I need or want to go is north south.

The goal for me would be to have an electric car that I can drive from Miami to Orlando to go visit the mouse and not have to make it a 2 day trip when it takes three hours normally.

A practical electric car has to have a range of close to 600 miles at hwy speed to accomodate some ones need to cross a state line or take a driving vacation. No one wants to double their travel time because the car, not the passengers need a break.
This is why series hybrids with onboard generation will ultimately win out as the most popular choice, barring a massive expansion of recharging infrastructure.

Alternatively, extended range/size rentals may become popular. If your standard EV serves you just fine 325 days a year, a specialty rental makes economic sense on those other days.

As the IBM report on the future of the auto industry suggests: the entire definition of car ownership could undergo a paradigm shift for many, but not all, drivers. You would buy into a "garage" that provides you with the type of vehicle you need that day. Interesting stuff.