View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
JDaly
EcoModding Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
because not wasting my money needlessly wasn't incentive enough to not waste my money needlessly. .
Ok. Point taken.
US policy did not seem to make a dent whatsoever in fossil fuel consumption over the last 100 plus years.

I guess the point you are making is show some "faith in the wisdom of the consumer" -i.e. one can assume they will want to save money / increase MPG; but they don't. One can assume that they will curb carbon emissions because they can see that eventually the Green house effect will kill most life on the planet. But they don't.
One can assume that Adam Smith's famous invisible hand will suddenly save us all from this descent to life destruction. But it hasn't and it won't.

So the wisdom of the market should proceed unconstrained even if it poisons us all!?

I think we diverge into different political world views here as I think markets need constraining policy and vice versa. ...and we can just agree to see things differently and avoid weary-ing our dear ecomodder readers with more policy arguments.
I get your points. I respect your knowledge, wisdom and views. But I for one will continue to seek both market education and policy that makes the market AND the politic smarter.
Respectfully,
JDaly

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDaly For This Useful Post:
Dodge 1996 4x4 Dan (01-14-2023), Ecky (01-08-2023), redpoint5 (12-31-2022)