View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #622 (permalink)
kach22i
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
...........road salt and red dirt is sticking to is due to low pressure or lift?
I see what you are saying, it is interesting.

1. Salt spray goes everywhere, I would not make too much of it unless it's a striking visual.

2. Red dirt (or "DURT" as a friend of mine puts on drawings) doesn't usually face the side of the car like that.

My guess is that so-called normal wheels suck in some air between the spoke openings to cool the brakes, and this results in higher wheel well pressures that exit out the sides between the wheel opening and outer tire surface thereby pushing airborne particles (dirt) away from the vehicle.

Exceptions on so-called normal cars would be when going though mud and it's no longer air pressure exiting but mud pressure, and that's going to leave a stain.

My conclusion: Airflow and PRESSURE on your car sides is so evenly distributed that anything in the air (disruption of dirt road surface) settles on it because it is NOT pushed away by other forces.

Question is; is that considered "low pressure", pressure that is lower than the surrounding undisturbed air? Which in turn would attract the airborne dirt.

Maybe what we see has something to do with a side Boundary Layer?

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig6_343167605
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boundary-layer-near-a-vehicles-surface-left-and-variation-of-the-boundary-layer.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	33146  

2012 Infiniti G37X Coupe
1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

You cannot sell aerodynamics in a can............

Last edited by kach22i; 01-01-2023 at 08:06 AM..