View Single Post
Old 01-02-2023, 01:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaly View Post
Good additions. I just took the model's output at face value and graphed it. Twould make sense that Rolling Resistance increases a little as more friction would indicate. Also interesting on the no wind resistance until 37 mph. I have often heard that 45 or so is the most efficient speed and the 37 would support that. But I know from riding my bike that wind resistance DOES increase from about 5 mph and up. By 20 MPH I can really feel it. (Empirical evidence).
Thanks for the corrections.
JDaly

PS. I am getting grief from friends who drive a lot who say they'd go crazy driving any slower than 65 MPh. Think driving from Boston to Buffalo like that.
45 is probably a little more efficient than 50, especially with low rolling resistance tires. I only did a steady state run for 20 miles in my Ioniq at 50mph with cc on and I was getting 87-94mpg on my trip reader. I was also ticking off 18 wheelers having to pass me in the right lane on the interstate on that test run. If I did 45 with cc on, my cars mpg reader would probably just say 99.9 the whole time and I’d never know how high it gets. Either way, going 50 and getting over 90mpg is fine. I’m not so cheap where I’d have to drop down to 45mpg to save even more money in my Ioniq…
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
JDaly (01-02-2023)