View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
you are going to gain some efficentcy with a higher voltage, but mostly you are going to be able to drop wire size, my 1,400 pound commuti-car has number 2 wire (conductor little larger then a pencle), and it really should have 2/0 wire (conductor about the size of a sharpy marker) so it can run it's 6hp 48V motor, giving it a 40mph top speed... basically if I wanted to go faster I would have to up the voltage, as the wires in the motor wouldn't be able to easly handle the amps needed for that kind of power, just like if you want a table saw for cutting alot of hard wood the motor is going to last longer if it's 220V instead of 110V, less of that energy is going to turn to heat, how much I can't say off the top of my head, but enough that your big advantage is that your vehicle electronics are going to last longer, the draw back of it is suddenly you have high enough voltage to kill you, my 48V system I can feel the tingle of electrons, and can make a nasty spark of I am not careful, but death is not the first thing on my mind when working near my batteries.
My DeWalt 36V lithium batteries are rated for 120 amps for I think 10 seconds, and around 70 amps for the 3 minutes it would take to totally drain them, they work well for my electric bike but there are cheaper batteries for cars out there.