View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 11:33 PM   #95 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Looks pretty pro jab to me.

Admittedly, I've never read a SA Tweet before, so I'm only going on his daily podcast. The context of "I'm vaccinated, so it's just Wednesday" in his podcast was back when the vaccine was 90% effective at preventing infection, and more effective at preventing severe and deadly symptoms. It's also back when he traveled to a location that required vaccination. Every episode he mentioned it was just his feeling, and that as a cartoonist, he isn't making a medical recommendation.

But, that's precisely what he said; that if you have certainty about a thing that's new, then you're just guessing.

"The lowest-awareness take on vaccinations is that the people who feared the jab were the brave ones.

The high awareness take is that everyone was acting on fear and everyone was guessing what path was safest.

No one out-thought anyone. It was just fear and guessing."

Nobody is brave because they feared Covid and got the vaccine, and nobody is brave because they feared the vaccine and rejected it. You cannot attribute bravery to fearful action. Bravery is acknowledging personal risk and deciding to proceed anyhow on behalf of others.

So for those that got vaccinated because they feared the disease, he would say "oh, I get that". For those who rejected the vaccine because they feared it, he said "oh, I get that".

Most fundamentally, Scott rejects binary thinking in most situations. Masks "work" vs "don't work". If they prevent 1/4 of infectious people from spreading, did they work? If they fail 3/4 of the time do they not work?

He's always talking about friction, the things that slow the advancement of something undesirable. He uses the border wall as an example. Do border walls "work"? If 1 person gets past a wall, can we declare the wall was useless? Why do we lock our doors given the fact that locks "don't work"? Friction.

That summarizes every take Scott has. Dismissing the concern someone else has is the low road. Accepting that someone has arrived at a conclusion honestly is the high road.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-05-2023 at 12:05 AM..