View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
What's the difference though besides where in the system receives back pressure?

I'd need to control both top and bottom ducts because I need more cooling upstairs in the summer than downstairs. In fact, if there was no cooling downstairs it would still remain cooler than upstairs. Same with heating. If I diverted all heating downstairs, upstairs would still end up being warmer.
Its not on or off. You can go halfway. Mine are all at varying light touches of percents. But every leg on mine has a damper.
So for you it sounds like putting in a damper on the main leg to the 2nd floor would solve some of your problems (while the unit is running and shortly after, but the two floors have different heat and cooling loads) if not most of them. If you put it in an easy spot to get two you just mark where you want it for summer and winter with a paint pen and adjust it twice a year.

The return air doesn't just grab air that comes out of the duct and return it its mostly there to grab stale air so it might grab a little bit less air and cause a slightly higher pressure up there which would probably not even cause a noticeable pressure difference besides the efficiency loss the system will see.
Blocking it at the main leg will be more direct and noticeable right away.
redpoint5 (03-11-2024)