View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
NiHaoMike
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Hey guys,
First of all, I wouldn't undertake something like this if you are not comfortable programming a micro computer of some sort, like an Motorola HC11.
Your effots could be put in a better place, like switching over to a manual rack and pinion steering, or plug in battery w/ alternator field kill switch.
Isn't the PWM control just a matter of using a MOSFET controlled by a common PWM chip? For temperature feedback, just mount a sensor on a pipe and use it to increase the duty cycle of the MOSFET. And maybe also add a PWM circuit for the radiator fan as well, and perhaps a servo motor for opening and closing the vents.

BTW, a friend of mine showed me a "desktop supercomputer" she designed the cooling system for. It was complex enough that the cooling system, consisting of a 2HP BLDC scroll compressor, R-410a refrigerant, a large condenser, 9 PZEVs (8 for the main CPUs, one for compressor cooling), and 8 evaporators, had a 200MHz CPU just to run it! Of course, that was because the CPUs had to be kept below -40C to operate correctly. An automobile engine is nowhere near as sensitive to temperature variations as a high performance CPU.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
The Following User Says Thank You to NiHaoMike For This Useful Post:
slime (06-30-2023)