View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
I didn't watch the video.

I use Gunk products to clean engines and other grimy under-vehicle stuff. They're (relatively) environmentally friendly -- after all you are cleaning greasy grimy gunk off the engine, and that stuff sure isn't. Gunk engine degreaser comes in various guises for various use cases. A crap ton of shop cloths, a few scraping thingies (screwdrivers are nice), toothbrushes and other stiff bristled brushes (I use old ones from the kitchen that got too gross for food related use), and other handy scrapey things. Glove up!

Rather than a garden hose I use a spray bottle. It's a lot less liquid to deal with and can be more precisely applied. Pumping that thing can get tiring though so I recently bought myself a little pressure sprayer. It's much easier. Finally, I put absorbent pads in a couple of those large flat trays you find in auto supply stores, and put them under the work area to catch the liquid and gunk. They can be slid around where I need them and pulled out from under the vehicle when I'm done. A good way to capture the entirety of the mess that's being made. It's still messy but I go at it a section at a time.