View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porgies View Post
the batt is a h7 94r and has around 80 ah capacity. Starting from home i will start with a starter/charger.
Please give me your input on tieing in the 80 w solar panals via the thin wire via cigg plug thats hot all the time. Should i disconnect that panal for startup or would it matter.
Again, thanks for the reply: Piotrsko
Just to reiterate, if your battery isn't deep cycle, it isn't meant to be cycled at all, but to be kept full at all times. Any amount of use is going to drastically reduce the service life. I wouldn't use a standard battery at all unless we're talking 15 minutes of use between being fully recharged again.

The 80 watt panel should be fine in the cigarette plug since those are usually 10 amp fused (120 watt). Many (most) of those plugs are disconnected when the ignition is switched off, so you would get no charging when the car is off.

I'd be nervous to let the solar panel charge the battery unattended because 80 watts is way above a trickle charge, and could cause the electrolyte to vaporize. You'd want some sort of charge controller if it's to be used when not running.

Won't matter if it's plugged in when you start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porgies View Post
Can i use voltage drop over 1/2 hr ( its equiped with scangageII) to determine the AH load?
again, thx redpoint5
That wouldn't be an accurate way to measure, and you'd need to have measured the capacity of your battery to begin with (not just rely on the rating of a new battery).

I used cheapo inline meters like these to measure loads. You could also use a DC clamp meter, which I also own.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
porgies (01-14-2023)