View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

This is a feature that was introduced in Fuller's 1947 Dymaxion house.
I'm on the fence about central vac. If you've got it already, then I'm for it. Nice having a nearly silent vacuuming experience. Nice having a lighter weight carpet attachment.

When your system sucks because it stopped sucking and you have to discover that monkeys made an improper joint in the attic, that sucks. When the thing turns on randomly because the controller board was made by monkeys, that sucks. When your garage port doesn't work because monkeys didn't spend the extra 15 minutes to complete the installation, that sucks. Otherwise, it's great!

I cut out an access in the drywall under the stairs primarily to facilitate home theater installation. Today I needed to access the area again (adding 4 ATMOS speakers), and decided to clean up that space. Of course, that's where the builders disposed of everything from bent nails, bits of drywall, various trash, and sunflower seed shells. Used the central vac to clean it up. Kids might like having that secret space to play in, so I might as well get it cleaned up.

Turns out ideal speaker placement involves math, not just putting them anywhere. Tonight I plan to do the math, trace out where they'll go, and run the speaker wires. Bought the speakers 2 years ago on a sale, so I'm just now getting A Round Tuit. Best guess is I've got two grand into my home theater, and countless hours, and some extra holes in the drywall from measuring once and drilling twice.

Other projects this weekend was reinstalling a gutter downspout that blew away in the wind because monkeys installed it. Putting up 2 sections of fencing that blew down because monkeys installed it. Learning audio theory from Youtube.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-15-2023 at 09:05 PM..