View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Bill Tarling
Born To Be Mild

I ended up buying one of the ebikes that looks like a scooter -- bad knee from old injury, so I have a lot of trouble peddling without it giving out in pain all day if I do (plus, at just over 6'5" and size 18-19 shoes, I find standard bicycle frames just don't fit me well).

I'm in BC (Canada), and mainly use it for getting back and forth to work, and for running [no pun intended] into town. I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere (barely any street lighting in my area), and most of the trip is hilly.

So far I'm pretty pleased with how the bike is running. Handles the hills (including a few steep ones) without any trouble.

I added in additional flashing brake lights and side running lights [or rather, the guys at work hooked them up for me -- I'm a computer geek, but useless at anything mechanical]. That's made the biggest difference in riding in traffic -- the cars notice me pretty well now, and I've noticed them giving me a lot more riding room on the road.

I always ride the bike with the running lights on (so my side lights are visible to the traffic), and the bike seems to hold up pretty well on a charge. I had a lot of errands last week, and after a little over 45 miles, the charge was still quite a bit over 70% left [and that including running my front hi-beams quite a bit too]. That surprised me because the manufacturer specs only rate the bike at 50 miles on a charge.

I have no idea how far the bike can fully go on a single charge (I never come closer to draining the battery fully before running a quick recharge).

Main thing is, I bought the bike to replace our old 2nd car that died. Seeing the difference in fuel savings already [huge!], I figure the bike will end up paying for itself pretty quickly.