View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
When I watch advertisements from the 50s, they talk about how much power the car has, the type of transmission and number of gears... nowadays we don't even get a photo of the car being sold, but instead an animation of those cars dancing to music with zero words spoken or written.
The car enthusiast of today is not at all the car enthusiast of yesterday. People want big screens, big space and the vehicle to drive like a Formula 1 racer.

If you want the nitty gritty stuff today you need to find a YouTuber who has the money and interest in tearing apart these new cars to show you how they tick.

Me- How many poles, windings, magnets, etc, does a Tesla have? What is its gear ratio? At what frequency does the motor controller modulate the motor curent, and via what kind of transistors?

Tesla owner- What? My car is fast!

Quote:
Advertisers don't even pretend you're not an idiot these days. They say "hey idiot, look at this and then give me your money", and then we do.
Exactly! Unless they advertise to me, which usually turns me off and makes me want to move to some third world country and live off of $2 per day.