View Single Post
Old 01-20-2023, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Cool thing about old rangers was that the frame accomodated any option available. Want 4wd, just get the brackets and front axle. Different trans? Move the support. Afaik Cant put a crew cab on because there's not enough frame left for even a short bed. I suppose you could splice on extension frame rails, but that's beyond my pay grade.
The Argentinian crew-cab model, which had also been available in Mexico, has a shorter (5-ft AFAIK) bed specifically designed for it, yet I remember seeing the standard 6-ft bed and even a 7-ft bed listed among the factory options for the crew-cab Ranger back in the day even though I have never seen a crew-cab Ranger with those longer beds. But anyway, with a good old C-Channel frame it's easier to do some mods such as stretching, compared to the fully-boxed frame of the current generation. IIRC from '98 until 2011 only the front section of the Ranger frame around the engine bay was boxed.

Quote:
Stretch cab versions got a short bed, long bed only fits standard cabs.
I remember seeing both the regular cab and extended cab versions fitted with both the standard 6-ft bed and the available 7-ft bed.

Quote:
Next gen rangers are different but beyond what I know. Newest generation looks to be the F150 universal frame
AFAIK it's not the same frame of the F-150. Otherwise it would've been much easier to offer RHD versions of the F-150 for some international markets instead of even bothering to make a dedicated Ranger Raptor for instance...