View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 05:19 PM   #645 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Let me put it this way. Cars are like iPhones. Every year they get little faster and a they get a little bigger screen, yet people get excited about that. But personally, I don't.

There are certain things on certain cars that are new and unique and at the same time practical or helpful in some way and also affordable.

Take EV's and plug-in hybrids for an example. Especially when they first came out (publicly in the 21st century) they were pretty cool since there hardly were any. Now I can get a car that plugs in and saves me money, produces less CO2 (if that's something important to me) doesn't need oil changes, etc. This is one reason I would seriously consider the Prius Prime or the Chevy Bolt as my next car purchase.

Of course once I actually do need to purchase another car, by then most cars may possibly be EV's or PHEV's. That's a good thing, more choices. But there probably won't be much difference between such vehicles just like there aren't really any differences between ICEV's today. For an example, there'll be an EV sedan from Chevy that has a 250 mile range. And there'll be one from Toyota with similar mileage. And one from Mazda and another from Ford which may be the same EV, only rebadged. And another from Honda. What will distinguish one from the other other than this one gets 124MPGe and this other one gets 132MPGe? More cupholders in one than the other?

If the Aptera does get 337MPGe then that would distinguish it from the rest. If the Aptera does allow me to travel up to 40 miles a day on pure solar, that would distinguish it from the rest. If it doesn't then I guess I better figure out how many cup holders I can live with or without so I can make a good next car purchase.