View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 07:51 PM   #650 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
And again, I don't see the small jumps to be all that exciting. You say safety is increasing yet deaths per million miles is actually getting worse statistically.
I was just looking at this earlier. The highest per capita fatalities occurred around 1937 at 29 per 100k population. The lowest occurred in the early 1900s, because nobody had a car. The lowest in the last 200 years has been the last 2 decades. We're at 12 deaths per 100k despite the fact that cars are insanely faster than they were in 1937, and everyone owns one.

Quote:

Efficiency is increasing, yet I got 60mpg in a 1985 VW with zero modifications. What efficiency increases are we talking about on EV's, other than Aptera, and what is the actual benefit? ...I was able to afford a Nissan Leaf once. Maybe some day there will be cheap Teslas and EV pickups, but for the forseeable future these vehicles are way out of my price range
Jason already shared this graphic showing vehicles getting way more fuel efficient, way more powerful, and growing a bit in size and weight. Just because you owned a dinky car that was more fuel efficient back in the day doesn't mean there hasn't been improvement.

How much did you pay for the Leaf? Back in 2020, a 3 year old Chevy Bolt could be purchased for $13k. A new one could be had for $22k. It has 3x more range than your Leaf, and a lot more power. The battery also doesn't rapidly degrade. I'd say those improvements in the EV world in just 6 years is pretty exciting. We're barely into the 2nd decade of EVs, and look how far we've come.

Vehicles are unaffordable now due to the global economy, and to a much lesser extent, domestic policy. You can't predict markets, but you can prepare for them.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (01-26-2023)