View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 10:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I've suggested you move to a place with low housing costs where you could afford to own a house instead of renting and being pushed farther and farther out of town. Those are not places with terrible traffic because they have low housing costs as a result of large population declines.

On the other hand I do live in a metro with 2.5 million people and moderately bad traffic and we had one of the highest percentages of bike commuters despite 7 months of rain. What if you have a wife and kids? Once a kid is about 5 they can peddle their own bike (I was riding a bike without adult supervision a mile to 1st grade). Until then there are these (which I see on my commute as well) Handy for carrying groceries home too.

I love biking! Haven't done it recently as it's winter and all the streets are snow packed and snow banks make for less space. That and another person I know got ran over and killed on his bike a month or so ago.

But as soon as they finish these new condos between here and my place of work there'll be a bike path to my work again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Instead of endorsing any further restrictions against car ownership, I'm more favorable to incentives for compact and more efficient cars.
Right?! Right now used cars are burtal. I have two friends who bought used cars and both were lemons. One bought a 2017 Ford Escape with almost 100,000 miles for $17,000 (in payments) and less than 6 months later it now needs a whole transmission.

It would be nice to have cheap new cars even if they were small, underpowered, opposite of luxurious, etc.