View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 01:19 PM   #95 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Someone in a Honda forum suggested rebuilding the transmission, so I summarized #93:
Quote:
I cannot find any estimates on-line for a rebuild and I even took my car to a transmission shop and asked how much one would be. The mechanic, the third one who has supposedly looked for a transmission leak, said "I don't see a transmission leak," adding "that is motor oil." He looked around and showed me a part near the top, on the back, that was wet with oil, and said that my rear main seal is leaking, which would cost $700 to replace, and then we could figure out the transmission leak, potentially rebuilding or swapping in a low-mileage transmission.
So, I need a $700 repair before my $2-3,000 repair.
Huh.
There is only one remanufactured transmission on eBay. It ships for $2,000 and has a 3-year warranty, but that doesn't cover labor or shipping.
Reman Transmission will ship one for $2,177 with a 36-month warranty.
They advertise an easy, hassle-free, transferable warranty, nationwide coverage, instant replacement, and paid parts and labor.
Curiously, the warranty would be 60 months for vehicles from 2001 and newer, but it is tied to the VIN, so I could not simply order a 2001 transmission.

KBB says the private party value is $1,590.

I had planned on selling it for $1,500 if I cannot fix the leaks.

It says it would be worth $2,185 in excellent condition.

Accords of this generation were sold private party between $2,994-3,550. All of them were lower mileage than this, but with a rebuilt transmission I would ask $5,000 and not sell for less than $4,000.

Selling as-is for $1,500 makes vastly more sense than paying $3,800 to fix up and trying to sell for $5,000.​​​
I am pretty sure that when I spend hours figuring out stuff I at least have the right to tell the story, but as a man once said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Consolidation is the key to simplification.