View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 07:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.36 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Wow, that's a huge increase, I am tempted to do some EOC, but I have a lot of hills and traffic on my short trips. I'm worried about the loss of brake assist more than the loss of power steering, but I will keep this in mind when on empty side streets. Recently, I have been doing much more coasting in neutral, which I believe has helped in my improved fuel economy. It's hard to confirm though, as the road conditions and outside temperature have improved so much.
Only EOC on roads you're familiar with, do it in neutral first and make sure you can coast the distance with few or no applications of the brake before doing EOC on it, just to be safe. On highway EOC doesn't make that much of a difference, but it makes a huge difference around town and idling in heavy traffic.

Quote:
I'm only doing 35psi, as my winter tires are recommended for 30psi, but once the weather improves and I can put my new lightweight wheels and tires on, I'll definitely be running higher pressure.
What winter tires are you using, out of curiosity? Most of the ones I've seen are rated for 44 or 51 PSI. I won't speak of the tire pressures I've run or still run.

Quote:
I have recently acquired 4 medium-sized coroplast signs, so the next item on my list will be making a grille block. I'm thinking I'll start with a full upper grille block and eventually a ~30% lower grille block. I need to find some vinyl wrap though, because the signs are bright yellow...
Use a Scangauge or Torque app to monitor actual coolant temps when you start blocking off the grille, don't rely solely on the dummy gauge in the gauge cluster.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Christian (01-31-2023)