View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 08:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I believe you're right, it definitely seems like it would have a poor effect on aerodynamics. I can't really speak on exactly how much of a negative impact it would make though.

However, my goal for the mod is to increase the warm-up time of the vehicle, not improve aerodynamics. The large majority of my driving is short stop & go city trips. I plan on also building an upper grille block eventually to help increase the temperature of air coming through the intake.
If your goal is to increase intake air temperature, I'd start by removing the resonator box. This will certainly increase your IAT a bit since you will be pulling air from much closer to the engine and the intake will see more radiator heat. This will also make a lot more room in the engine compartment and save a few pounds, all good things.

I wouldn't expect huge gains from higher IATs, I have changed my intake configuration several times trying to get the coldest air possible for improved performance and I never noticed my fuel efficiency change with IAT. I do plan on eventually experimenting with using a small heat exchanger to warm the fuel going to the rail with coolant though, I'd think warmer fuel could improve cold weather efficiency by vaporizing easier but we will see.

Does anyone have any data on what the ideal IAT for fuel efficiency is in their application? Too cold would theoretically hurt efficiency by increasing pumping losses and not vaporizing fuel as well, but too hot will result in the ECU retarding ignition timing and possible knock, which isn't good either.