View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I have started taking back things I bought for this project.
Total loss so far is over $411, which is ridiculous.
The main cost was aluminum bracing at $114.
I used 8' aluminum ( flooring ) transition strips at $14 a piece.
Actual aluminum bar is crazy expensive !
I think I would end up needing twice the amount I bought to create a strong structure, and that doesn't even include framing for the belly pan.
Next was the lights at $ 63. The main lights and the interior light that I planned to use as a reverse light.
After that was the drawer slides at $24 for a set of 2.
I bought two and stacked them on top of each other.
As the bottom slides forward, it carries the top sliders forwards.
What really sneaks up on you and adds up fast are little things like screws and bolts.
I spent probably $55 - $60 ...or more ! on nuts and bolts / screws and washers alone.
Then wiring and cable the ratchet strap etc.

I got all the Coroplast free from my job.
Just after Xmas is a great time to source it.
I told myself not to add all of this up and just go for it - but to save the receipts.
I added it up the other day and see I went over my target budget by over double.

I took back the lights and some other stuff, so I can deduct about $100 off of this experiment.

I started this with the intention of seeing just how compact of a boattail I could create that was effective.

I started out with a really steep angle. I used the Tesla Model X angle as a guide.

As I went farther into this though, my OCD took over and I was just like " Why the hell not ! " and I decided to go all out to test all four lengths on the car - Stock with small spoiler / retracted Kammback / Kammback with second extension out / and full length boattail.

Major goals were to have the entire tail be removable in 30 min or less.
So far, my best time is 14 minutes.
Also, I wanted to control the extending and retraction of the tail from the drivers seat while in motion.
(You pull a cable )
I tested it in a crude drive around my apartment driveway.
It worked.
I also took it over some speed bumps.
Nothing fell off or came loose in four test runs .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-03-2023), Piwoslaw (02-03-2023)