View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
what explains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Thanks.
What explains the continued momentum of objects inside the truck as brakes are applied ? ( the example of my relative with the van )
The objects within the vehicle are slowed by the application of the brakes, since they are contained in the body being slowed.
But yet they continue to fly forward..

The only way that I could think that a moving weight might help is when coasting on a decline.
I'm guessing the movement of mass from gravity might give a slight boost in coasting ? ?
Think of a semi with a trailer full of loose cargo.
If it suddely coasted downhill, and the load slid to the front of the truck, would it do anything due to ( gravity ? )

I know this is all 3rd grade science here. Sorry.
It has to do with Newton's law of uniform motion and inertia. A body in motion, tends to remain in motion, unless acted upon by some external force.
If the truck is full of Styrofoam bowling balls, they possess very little inertia, and at a given velocity, little momentum. Slamming on the brakes is a non-event.
If they're 'real' bowling balls, there's significant inertia and terrific momentum. Slamming on the brakes could be the last thing the driver did.
Filling, and pushing a shopping cart full of each type of ball would really drive the lesson home ( watermelons vs popped corn or cotton balls ?).
Cd (02-03-2023)