View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 02:16 AM   #46 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
The forum guide is interesting. It says to remove the panel below, the glovebox, the glovebox, and the PGM fuel relay, then put the heat on full blast and max heat, then start the engine, and let it run until it stalls. Remove the fuel cap to relieve the pressure inside the gas tank.

Eric didn't do anything about fuel pressure, but in another video, the one I watched for Chorizo? He said to hold a rag over some part, loosen it, and the rag is supposed to catch a bunch of gas.

I prefer this method.

Apparently the FSM subscribes to the "remove the throttle cable, cruise control cable, fuel line, vacuum lines, coolant lines, sensors, wiring and clips, leave the intake attached to the head, and remove as an assembly" philosophy, which doesn't seem easier.

The head isn't heavy, but maneuvering it is awkward.

This says to remove and drain the coolant overflow.

Why?

If the blown head gasket flowed into it then wouldn't you need to clean it?

The guide says to watch this video, which indicates that an impact wrench may be useless against the crankshaft pulley bolt, which Eric just says to loosen and then remove.

I am unsure what they did here. They used the tool with the socket on an extension sitting on a jack stand?

I remembered having drama and found this: Crankshaft pulley bolt blues

He finally ordered a cheap tool off eBay.

I don't need to remind you guys what happened with the one I bought off Amazon!

Some people insist you need to buy a Real Lisle 77080 19 mm Harmonic Balancer Socket for Honda, a normal one won't do the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Do you think I can replace the head gasket on my Civic in one day?!
This will be my third head gasket and my second in an early 2000s Civic, but I don't have any hope of completing this in one day, although I hope to beat my previous record--of three months--by a wide margin.

The only other differences that stand out are BlueEM2 removed a motor mount or two--and the water pump!

Eric had just replaced the timing belt and water pump.

I need to watch that video now?

I think that I will stick with this guide.