View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 03:04 AM   #100 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
What does the tally inform you?
I don't have any idea! I got lost and posted it in the wrong thread!

The third mechanic didn't see a transmission leak, but where did 6 quarts of ATF go?!

He pointed out a bunch of seemingly-fresh oil on the back of my valve cover, on the passenger side, I sprayed it down with the car wash the other day, hosed it off, and drove to see my client.

There is a little oil there now, so I will try to clean that before I leave--and reinstall the back seat--and tighten the exhaust fasteners.

It is a little too loud.

I told Mom and my sisters that it would cost $2,000 to fix the transmission and my sister responded "Xist, is this the Honda you were fixing up to sell to [kid]? If it drives, we can take it and worry about fixing the leak."

I cannot imagine her paying $2,000 to fix up the Accord, although she did pay $5,500 to fix her Piece of Chevy, and then she finally got rid of it, but not necessarily before it required more repairs.

She replaced it with an Odyssey.

I hate the idea of scrapping an otherwise good car.

I didn't mention the mechanic pointing out a leak on top and suggesting the rear main seal is bad, then quoting $700 for labor.

I just want to know how bad the leak on top is. If it is significant it would be vastly cheaper than the rear main seal, but I feel that it is disingenuous to talk about $700 in labor for an engine seal and then $2,000 in transmission work.

You remove the transmission to replace the seal, so it should be more like $700 for the rear main seal and $1,300 to repair the transmission you already removed.

Mom insists that if you spend $2,000 fixing the significant leaks on a $1,500 car you still have a $1,500 car.

I would never claim that $2,000 in work would even make it a $3,500 car, but she should be a good car for years--and not ruin the driveway.

Anyway, I am going to finish up Operation Pig Lipstick and start fixing up the 2002 Civic.