View Single Post
Old 02-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #146 (permalink)
funkhoss
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.moore@freenet.de View Post
Great pieces of advice! Thank you! I will start practising the EOC method. With an older car, it's less scary, because there is less to lose when the engine is off :-) Servo-assisted brakes would be a serious one, though...
There are fairly simple solutions to the problem of vacuum assisted brakes. In our Metro, adding an auxiliary vacuum canister/reservoir was enough of a solution. I can press the brake pedal multiple times without losing assist, which is more than enough for this car. It's never an issue.

With this Caprice, which has bigger brakes, more inertia, and can coast much farther than the Metro, an auxiliary vacuum reservoir wasn't enough. I ended up installing an electric vacuum pump from a VW diesel (with a vacuum-activated switch) that would "recharge" the brakes as necessary when the engine was off. The Caprice could coast indefinitely and never run out of brake assist.

Other features you'll need to do EOC successfully:
  • A kill switch (you don't want to use your keyed ignition switch to shut off the engine);
  • a manual transmission (for bump starting);
  • manual steering (for obvious reasons!);
  • a deep cycle battery (EOC will ruin a standard lead-acid starting battery pretty quickly); and
  • an electric pump for the heater core coolant circuit (if you like having consistent heat in the winter!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.moore@freenet.de View Post
My book will be out around July this year. Unfortunately I can't reveal much more about it at the moment, for obvious reasons.
I looked around for it online after your first post, but didn't find anything. This would explain why! Please do let us know when it's out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkhoss For This Useful Post:
ademonrower (02-07-2023), Frankiec55 (11-27-2023)