View Single Post
Old 02-06-2023, 09:34 PM   #138 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I figured public knowledge of EVs and PHEVs would have improved quite a lot in the last half-decade, and maybe it has, but I'm not getting that impression.

You think people are just bad a math, or can't be bothered to do math?

I really have a hard time understanding things from the typical consumer perspective as I'm not very influenced by opinion, and feel the need to find answers myself.

Even my wimpy Prius plug-in, if charged only once per day, would deliver 4,400 EV miles per year. That's not nothing. With 25 miles of EV range, I bet 2/3rd of my miles would be EV. At 40 miles of EV range, I think that goes up to 80%.
Most people don't do math when buying a car. They go into a dealer with a price per month in their head that they are willing to pay - and then let the dealer do the math. It is all about the monthly payment and on a PHEV (or EV) that payment doesn't include the discount for the tax credit. (I think we will see more of both EVs and PHEVs sold when the tax credit becomes a point-of-sale rebate in 2024)

The typical person can't tell you how much they spend on gas let alone tell you the cost per mile to fuel their car. Less than 1/3rd of households have a budget or track spending by category.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Ecky (02-06-2023)