View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 04:27 AM   #149 (permalink)
ademonrower
Ademonrower

Intended driving pattern and mods

Many thanks for those very useful pieces of advice.
Re (from funkhoss):

Aux. vacuum canister for servo brakes: great! that sounds quite simple. Where do I get one?

A kill switch (you don't want to use your keyed ignition switch to shut off the engine); >> OK, I'll look into that
a manual transmission (for bump starting); >>yup, I have a man.trans.
manual steering (for obvious reasons!); >> yup, I have man.steer.
a deep cycle battery (EOC will ruin a standard lead-acid starting battery pretty quickly); >> many thanks for that advice: I was on my way to destroying my lead acid battery; and
an electric pump for the heater core coolant circuit (if you like having consistent heat in the winter!). >> I'll try to weather that one (no pun intended), but perhaps my passengers won't like it, so advice gladly accepted :-)

From aerohead:

* How will you be driving the car? >> mainly highway and uncomplicated country roads, typical speeds between 40 and 70 mph.
* Overall driving speed may determine where to focus your resources.
* And there may be legal constraints in Germany for some body modifications, which would not be a consideration elsewhere. >> Yes, that IS a problem: it's a pity that one is allowed to do so little to one's car here in Germany, but with a bit of cunning, and making absolutely sure that it's rock-safe, I reckon I'm on the "good" side in terms of practical measures. If I'm caught, then I can turn it to our (eco-modders) advantage and call a journalist that I know: she'd probably love the story and its environmental implications :-) I can't be caught too much though, because the fines would ruin me...
The Following User Says Thank You to ademonrower For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-09-2023)