View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I had a LUV in my younger days. Totally inadequate legroom. It was murder on my knees. It was also an unmitigated rust-bucket.;
Can't say as to the LUV, but I drove a '70-something Toyota (company vehicle) for a couple of years, and owned a '78 Datsun, Both had adequate legroom for me, at 6'. Indeed, the Toyota was more than adequate, more like a sports car than a pickup. Rust isn't much of a problem around here, but what do you expect when your state highway departments strew corrosive salt on the roads all winter? Seems like you ought to be blaming them, not the automakers, because (as I well remember from growing up in the northeast), everyone's cars rusted out.

Quote:
People don't really want small vehicles - they want fuel-efficient vehicles.
Are you saying I'm not people? Because I assure you, I do want small vehicles - other that a couple of "just transport" clunkers, that's all I've ever owned. Beyond that, we get into the Detroit claim that "Americans don't want small vehicles", which certainly goes a long way towards explaining why they've steadily been losing market share ever since the first VW bug hit these shores :-)