View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #173 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Which is disappointing as it has been around since 2009. However, I doubt you are alone with as many people I see saying only rich people get tax credits buying EVs.
Making it a point of sale credit doesn't help much, because it's older, more wealthy people who purchase new cars. Most car sales are used cars. The average age of a new vehicle buyer is 54.

I'm trying to think, and none of my close friends have ever bought a new car, and they're pharmacists and vets.

... one of my friends bought a new Leaf about a year ago because he has a medium length commute to Portland, and used car prices made new car prices seem less imposing. He gets buy charging on a regular 120v outlet.

The real malfeasance is that the tax credit hasn't done a cost / benefit analysis. You'd think before spending (which is the same as not collecting) billions of dollars, you'd have a plan. Not in government. Ready, FIRE, aim, with your tax money, and to the benefit of the wealthy.

Nobody even challenges me on this point in the slightest because there is no explanation except corruption or ignorance, and somehow we're delighted to live in such an absurd world.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-14-2023 at 07:32 PM..