View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 03:52 PM   #192 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The lease deal doesn't always work. On the Pacifica hybrid the lease companies never passed on the $7500 they got. It was speculated because it would make leasing a non-PHEV version so much more expensive Chrysler wouldn't be able to make lease sales on the others. I don't know, the Jeep PHEV was a killer deal and did get the $7500 pass thru. So why the Jeep and not the Pacifica. All I know is I couldn't get a $7500 discount trying to lease the Pacifica I bought, so I just financed it and got the credit myself later. Nobody on leasehacker got the discount either. So it's really up to them if they want to pocket the credit or pass it on.
No - the leasing company doesn't always pass the full credit through into the lease deal. It is up to the buyer to do a bit of due diligence and make sure the bank isn't trying to rip them off. If the bank won't pass the credit through - walk away.

It would have been nice if the IRA had specifically written into law that the full credit has to be passed through to the buyer for a leased vehicle. They did for buyers that purchase the car but transfer the credit to the dealer to get a point of sale rebate.

I suspect EVs will become a bit easy to find as supply chains improve. I've noticed several car dealerships that have full lots again. Saturday I drove by a Hyundai dealership and they had about 10 Ioniq 5s lined up out front. (Looking at their website they claim to have 99 but most of those are likely allocations not actual vehicles)