View Single Post
Old 03-02-2023, 04:20 PM   #52 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Do oil coolers have t-stats? I'm guessing probably not.
I added a thermostat and a larger oil cooler to my VW. I also added more oil flow to the heads and more spray to the backs of the pistons. I don't think it was worth the effort though, as I never did hardly break the opening point of the thermostat. From what I've been told by some of the VW gurus, the oil cooler doesn't really do anything for normal driving in normal weather. Even climbing mountain passes I'd only get about 180° oil temps and then it would drop back down. I think my installing a remote oil filter was a bad idea as now the lines got too much air and cooled the oil too much.

Quote:
The brilliance of water cooling is a more even engine temperature, which allows for tighter tolerances, which allows for more performance and longevity....
True. I have wondered if adding heat pipes into the heads and perhaps cylinders would solve that. Of course then you have to wonder if water freezing inside heatpipes could damage them. It looks like properly designed heatpipes don't get damaged from freezing though.

Quote:
I get the appeal though. The KISS (keep it simple, stupid) principle. There are no solutions, only trade-offs. The trade-off for more power, etc is a more complex system.

Somehow technological evolution has favored increasing complexity. When we really start leveraging AI and analytics, things will become way more complex.
I don't mind complexity, but don't treat me like I'm a dumb idiot (not you, the manufacuteres). It's nice having idiot proof cars, but when your interface with your car asks you if you want it to make farting sounds for you, you are no longer part of the driving experience. The car does it all for you. Now you just pay more to get more automated driving experience.

Now the interface is a pseudointerface. You take your foot off the accelerator and it pseudo engine brakes for you. The pseudo gear shift doesn't really shift gears. I want to be connected to my car, have full control, not have a car that pretends to be something it's not.

That and artificial locks. Why are things like brake circuits locked behind a paywall? You have to subscribe if you want to work on your own car, even for something as simple as a brake fluid change. Next thing you know you won't be able to do a thing to your car without taking it to someone with a paid subscription to work on cars.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 03-02-2023 at 04:31 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (03-03-2023), redpoint5 (03-02-2023)