View Single Post
Old 03-02-2023, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
DieselCruze
EcoModding Lurker

Algie - '18 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
90 day: 57.45 mpg (US)
Best LRR tire for Diesel Chevy Cruze

Hello all, I have owned a 2018 Chevy Cruze diesel with a manual gearbox since new and am coming up on needing its first tire replacement. While I wouldn't class myself as a true hypermiler, I really enjoy the stellar economy I get in the car and don't want to lose any mpg. It's more of a pride/personal challenge/OCD thing and not a money thing, to be honest. I understand new tires usually have a negative effect on mpg at first, but want to pick a tire that will eventually give me the same or maybe even a touch better economy once broken in. Unfortunately it is very hard to find any studies or tests done that focus on the actual differences in economy between tires ... the only one I could find with the tires I am interested in was from 2009! Most of the current descriptions are sort of generic corporate-speak, and on top of it it seems a lot of tires boast being "EV geared," and I have no idea how that translates to what's best for my little diesel. I am wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the following three tires (or better yet with more than one of them and can compare), which I think are probably the best choices for my tire size (205/55-16):

*Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max - this is the tire it came with and I have been happy with it all-around. I'd be happy to keep getting the economy I have gotten with these. I'm leaning towards just getting another set of these, but not sure if they've changed after five years?
*Michelin Energy Saver A/S - These seem to get the best reviews overall but reviews don't really focus on the economy aspect much.
*Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 - I see there is a regular one and a "Plus" ... what is the difference?

I am comfortable with the price for any of the three so it mostly comes down to which will give me the best economy. I have Jeeps for winter weather so this car almost never goes out in snow. I drive on the highway or side roads much more than stop-and-go. I tried looking at some of the specifications on the tires, but to be honest I don't have the engineering/physics knowledge to translate it to a useful conclusion. The Goodyear is 18 pounds and the other two are 19 pounds ... the Michelin has a slightly wider tread than the other two ... and they all vary slightly in revolutions per mile.
I would love any advice on choosing between these three and I figure this forum is full of people who pay a lot of attention to the minute differences between things like tires. I am in the US, so keep that in mind. Thanks!