View Single Post
Old 03-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
DieselCruze
EcoModding Lurker

Algie - '18 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
90 day: 57.45 mpg (US)
Best LRR tire for Diesel Chevy Cruze

Hi folks, I made a post on this topic earlier this week and it never appeared, so I’m not sure if it was user error or if I missed a rule about new users. I thought I would try a different section since maybe I posted it in the wrong section. I have a 2018 diesel Chevy Cruze (manual gearbox) that I am getting ready to replace the tires on for the first time. I wouldn’t class myself as a hypermiler, but love my car’s economy and it’s important to me to keep it up … it’s more a personal challenge/pride thing than a money saving thing. So I’m overthinking my tire choice a bit. My issue is that all of the tire reviews for LRR tires basically don’t address any kind of economy rating or review for economy. It’s just vague corporate speak that I can’t weigh into any kind of comparison. Also a lot of them now say they are “EV rated,” and I’m not sure how that translates to what is optimal for my diesel. I’m leaning toward getting the same tire it came with, Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, as I’ve had no complaints about them and love my fuel economy. However it’s been 5-6 years since those tires were made, and I have no idea if the product has changed for better or worse. I’m also open to trying a different tire if there is one that might do a bit better on mpg. The three I have narrowed it down to for my tire size of 205/55-16 are:

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
Michelin Energy Saver A/S
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

Does anyone have any recent real-world input on the kind of fuel economy one can expect from any of these compared to the others, particularly on the highway? Has anyone had one and switched to another and seen an increase or gain in mpg? I realize this could vary based on tire size, but I’m hoping for some idea of if any one has a much better RRC than the others. So far I can only compare weight, tread width, and rotations per mile, and to be honest I don’t have the greatest understanding of how those translate to better economy. Cost-wise all three are at prices I am comfortable with. I don’t drive this particular car in snow/ice and can usually avoid driving in rain. When I do drive the car I am almost always on the highway or side roads (as opposed to stop/go). So the best fuel economy is really what’s driving my decision.