View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
was that the first gen ecopias or the gen 2 ecopias that came out around 2019 i believe?

because the ecopias i got last year completely blow the energy savers out of the water for wet grip. thats in portland rain and also florida thunderstorm flooding rain both. they even grip in the snow pretty well if its not a storm. did a few trips to timberline on mount hood with snowy roads and active snow early season and they wouldnt even drift on turns

I bought the original Ecopia EP442 in 2012 for my Prius. The Ecopias on my 2016 Spark were a special tire just for the Spark with a compound that wore down to 4/32 tread depth in 6,000 miles. I replaced them with my favorite tire with a good blend of grip and fuel economy. BFGoodrich Advantage Sport A/S. Even going one size wider the miles / kWh only dropped 4% vs the Ecopia. Not great grip like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 I have on the Bolt today but still good enough for most people.

I see the new Ecopia EP442 has a traction rating of A which is an improvement over the old version and the Michelin Energy Saver which are rated B. However, the 2 versions of Ecopia I've owned were so bad I have no incentive to spend $600 to test the new version.

Asphalt Rating
AA = 0.54 g or greater
A = 0.47 g
B = 0.38 g
C - less than 0.38 g

Concrete Rating
AA = 0.38 g or greater
A = 0.35 g
B = 0.26 g
C = less than 0.26 g

(G forces are measured locked at 40 mph on wet roads. it is an old and simple test that is basically only measuring the tire's compound)