View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Many (most?) gensets have CO detectors. You can buy a battery operated one for like $5. Generators are the way to power people who live in CO, not batteries... and I just realized Colorado is Carbon Monoxide. That's unfortunate.
I'm not saying that someone who know's what he or she's doing shouldn't be able to use a generator. But we live in a society that had things like FM on phones and AM and FM in cars, but since "nobody cared" it's being taken away. There doesn't seem to be any classes that I know of for emergency preparedness. People in general don't have a clue. And when things go wrong, they'll have been set up for failure. How much that's their own fault and how much that's big corporations' fault, I don't know. All I know is that the general public doesn't care and nobody seems to care about the general public.

On the point of the batteries vs. generator for cold weather:
For radio anything, batteries hooked up directly (no inverter at all) are better. You get no RF noise compared to an RF noisy generator, especially an inverter generator. This is especially true if you want to be an amateur radio operator and get the most out of your system.